Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I'm Gonna Wreck It!!!!!





Wreck-It Ralph.

Sorry I'm so late getting this review in place.  But I didn't actually get to see this movie until this weekend.

And I loved it.

Wreck-It Ralph is the 52st addition to Disney's Animated Canon, and it is a good one.

The story is about the titular "Wreck-It Ralph" an 8-Bit video game 'bad guy' from an arcade game called "Fix-It Felix Jr." (Who is the hero of said game.)

On the 30th anniversary of Ralph's game, Ralph finds himself going through a midlife crisis, and after being berated by the 'Nicelanders' NPCs in his game, departs the game to win himself a medal and hopefully the respect from the other characters in his game.



He enters 'Hero's Duty' a more modern first person shooter game that was just installed at the arcade this week, and hijinks ensue.

On his way back, Ralph accidentally winds up in 'Sugar Rush' a candy-themed racing game (Over by the Whack-A-Mole) ruled by the iron-fisted 'King Candy'.  I won't spoil any more beyond this: King Candy has definitely earned his spot in the Disney Pantheon of Villains.  This guy is seriously evil.

Yeah...This guy.  Evil.  Also voiced by Alan Tudyk.   

Now...I'm not a video game guy.  I wasn't even allowed to play video games growing up.  So...Some of the cameos went over my head.  But that doesn't matter.  I know who Sonic the Hedgehog is, and Bowser, and even I have played Pac-Man.

My point is that the 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' list of video game cameos (which I will not deny is impressive to a major degree.) was mostly lost on me.  But fortunately for me...This movie is not about the cameos.

The Heart of this story is the Characters.  Four Characters.



Wreck-It Ralph himself (voiced by John C. Reilly) :


Fix-It Felix Jr. (Jack McBrayer) :

Sgt. Calhoun (Jane Lynch) : 





Yes...Of Glee fame.  But she didn't annoy me as much as I expected her to...



And Vanellope Von Schweetz (Sarah Silverman):

Ditto for Sarah Silverman...Who I am not a big fan of...But she is perfectly cast here.


None of these characters are from a real video game (until the Defictionalization kicks in, anyway.)  So for those of you out there who don't really play video games, (yeah right) like me there is literally nothing stopping you from enjoying this movie, because the Characters and Story are the Heart of this film.

And those of you who know me, know that that's what matters most to me when I watch a movie.  The Cameos are just flavor.  This story Wrecks-It out of the ballpark on it's own.



Seriously go see this movie, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment